Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can using a 1% otc hydrocortisone cream everyday 1x per day really be dangerous or thin your skin out?

I know people say hydrocortisone can thin out skin but I feel that over-the-counter use to control eczema for a few days should be safe. I prefer to use this instead of protopic as it as a black box cancer label. However, I don't want to risk thinning out my skin after say, 25 years. I am unable to find any articles regarding over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream - only prescription strength steroids (which do indeed thin out skin).Can using a 1% otc hydrocortisone cream everyday 1x per day really be dangerous or thin your skin out?
Hydro cortical steroids are known to cause skin atrophy of the skin.. meaning they brake down fat cells causing a ';thinning'; of the face. they are also known to change pigmentation of skin in colored people. However, such a low dosage used moderately will take YEARS to have any ill effect, and that is assuming you use it everyday for years.Can using a 1% otc hydrocortisone cream everyday 1x per day really be dangerous or thin your skin out?
I have been using 1% hydrocortisone on my face for 10 years. I now have a condition called ';steroid induced rosacea'; I strongly recommend you do not use any form of steroid cream on any part of your body, regarless of potency. It will eventually thin your skin Report Abuse

Talk to your doctor about how the cream may benefit you. My doctor recommended that I only use it twice a day and not more cause it can cause thinning of your skin. I used the hydrocortisone cream a couple months back and it didn't thin out my skin at all. But I only used it for one day and it actually gave me much a clearer and even softer skin.
From what I know it can't, well at least not on me because I've been using it for a while now and it has only made my skin look and feel better without thinning it out.
Any drug has risks and side effects. Use it only as recommended and try not to use it often.
im not 100% sure about OTC; i know it does for prescription strength, using it for extended periods of time can also cause osteoporosis, cushing's syndrome, immunosuppression, and some other stuff so youre not really suppose to use hydrocortisone for more than a few days at a time
The over the counter is not the same stuff that will thin your skin. It isn't strong enough...unless you bathe in it every day until your 2000 years old.
I have eczema also, and have found a lotion that works wonders. It's so greasy they say to only use it on your hands before bed, but I use it more often and don't have a problem out of it. It's called Eucerin. It's for severely dry skin treatment, and is #1 physician recommended. I would try that before I'd keep using hydrocortisone cream. It probably does have some long-term side effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment